Friday, February 13, 2004

The Passion reaches UK tabloids

I commented earlier on how little The Passion of the Christ has made it into the popular news in the UK; but then I don't read tabloids anyway so how would I know? Helenann Hartley, when visiting a theological college which subscribes to The Mirror, spotted this feature:

THE PASSION OF CHRIST IS GRIM NIGHTMARE
John Hiscock
NOTHING I have ever seen has been more difficult to watch than this.

It is, without a doubt, one of the most violent films ever made - two hours and six minutes of unremitting, relentlessly graphic brutality.

Mel Gibson's controversial story of the last hours of Jesus Christ is a sickening bloodbath and, in my opinion, suitable viewing only for sadists . . . .
This makes me want to see the film even less than I already do, especially after the comments Crossan reports about the lyrical beauty of the violence, which I find sickening. Curiosity will drive me to see it as soon as it is out in March; but I won't be looking forward to it.

No comments: