Wednesday, June 02, 2004

More on the new blogger

On Paleojudaica, Jim Davila responds to my comments about blogger. I see Jim's point about the "disimprovement" over the date adjusting / not adjusting when one re-opens a post. I don't think that I was aware of that before -- I'd thought blogger used to keep the old date there too. I also commented that:
The archiving is greatly improved by separating off posts into single pages with single URLs, which means that when one searches for a given post you can go straight to it rather than getting to the page on which it appears.
Jim responds:
I'm confused by this: for me the individual posts always came with their own URLs in the old Blogger. I had to configure the Atomz search engine to reflect this, but that only involved an extra line or two of code.
The difference is that Blogger now generates a different kind of archiving by individual post if one wants this. So, for example, have a look at the permalink to this post. It links you to a single page with just this post on it. The advantage of that is that a general search engine like Google can pinpoint the individual page and so take the searcher to the specific post, rather than to a page containing that post (and several others). Jim's Atomz search does overcome that problem nicely by taken one directly to the individual post on a given page, but Google will not.

Let me give an example of what I mean. I recall having made a post about Joe Zias and crucifixion and I want to find it. So I type into Google "crucifixion, zias, blog". My post comes up on a single page, so that I can access it straight away: February 20: Two More Passion Articles: Caron, Crossan, Zias.

No comments: