Saturday, November 17, 2007

SBL Annual Meeting I

Along with many other of the bibliobloggers, I am here in San Diego at the SBL Annual Meeting. I haven't had any time to blog yet, but hope to do so in due course. I am writing on Saturday late afternoon not long after attending the session on Richard Bauckham's Jesus and the Eyewitnesses. I was pleased with how it went since I had the (easy) job of setting it up and inviting the speakers, Richard Bauckham, John Kloppenborg, James Crossley and Adela Yarbro Collins. It was chaired by Jeff Peterson. Kloppenborg, Crossley and Yarbro Collins each read their reviews, Bauckham responded, there was a little panel discussion and then it was opened to the floor. It was pretty well attended -- it filled one of the huge rooms. I don't have the energy to summarize the papers or the comments at the moment; perhaps later. I was pleased with myself because my well-known and shameful habit of falling asleep in sessions was only marginally in evidence at this one. I slept for over four hours of the five hour flight from Raleigh Durham to Phoenix last night, and it seems to have set me up well for this.

As usual, it's a case of going from one interesting meeting to another, and meeting other old friends and colleagues by accident along the way. I did manage to make it briefly to the "e-listers" meeting this morning, where I met several of the biblioblogging fraternity, and no doubt a number of them are blogging the meeting too.

No comments: