Friday, September 12, 2008

Travel Diary: Minneapolis, Friday

I am lecturing in Minneapolis this weekend (Minneapolis event) and regular readers will be familiar with the fact that I write travel diaries on occasions like this.

As I write, I am sitting in a familiar spot, the Varsity Grill and Sports Bar at Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU), enjoying a nice Sam Adams. The place is bustling tonight. I think to myself, "Ah, it's because it's Friday night -- people are out enjoying themselves" but then remember that no one actually comes to a bar at an airport on a Friday night unless they are travelling. I am so used to travelling with my family recently, having taken six flights this summer, from DC to Philadelphia to London to Nantes to London to Philadelphia to DC again, that it is odd being in my own company, with just the blogging machine and Sam Adams to keep me company. I like to sit facing outwards, at one of the tall stools set up to allow you to do people watching on all the people going by, at the same time doing a little everyday eavesdropping on several conversations happening behind me.

Tonight is only about the travel. Minneapolis is a two and a half hour flight from Raleigh Durham, and I am going in tonight so that I am able to be up bright and early in the morning and to begin the study day at 9.

No comments: