Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Latest Biblioblog Top 50

It's been a stressful month on the biblioblogosphere, first with concerns about the continuing gender gap and subsequently much discussion and anxiety over an affiliation with the SBL, so it is nice to have the arrival of the latest Biblioblog Top 50 to cheer us all up. In checking for a couple of links, I noticed my comments a month ago to the following effect:
I must confess that there are far too many blogs in the top 50 that I don't yet subscribe to. I'll have to put that right. It's nice to see the NT Blog still in the top 10, and even more encouraging to see the NT Pod jumping a massive 78 places to 58. It's good to see James McGrath back in the top 10, but those of you who aren't reading Paleojudaica should be. I am sure Dr Jim (Linville)'s blog will continue to rise up the list in the future. It's one of the most entertaining of all the biblioblogs, in my humble opinion. One curiosity -- I don't see Bob Cargill's blog anywhere, and it certainly should be added. And congratulations to Jim West for holding on to the top spot for the sixth month in a row.
A month on, and Bob Cargill is included in the Top 50, Jim Linville continues to roar up to the top, James McGrath is making steady progress, and Jim West is number 1 for the seventh month, though with Joel Watts breathing down his neck and poised to take over. I am still disappointed by the fact that Paleojudaica polls where it does.

But I notice that the tradition in commenting on the Biblioblog Top 50 is to comment on your own ranking, and not others', so I will follow the trend and note that it's good to see the NT Blog in its highest ever post-split position, at Number 5, and to see the NT Pod making its debut in the Top 50, at 47. I think I'm the only person with two entries in the Top 50. I'm not playing fair! It's been a good month for the NT Pod, which is still in the iTunes U Top 40 downloads, with episode 13 apparently the most popular episode, with over 4,000 downloads.

2 comments:

Christopher Heard said...

I suspect the reason Paleojudaica rates as low as it does is because Jim Davila runs it kind of like a news wire service, rarely giving his own commentary or really interacting much with the rest of the biblioblogosphere. PJ therefore comes out reading more like a newspaper than like most blogs, even though JD was one of the first pioneers in our little world.

Mark Goodacre said...

Yes, I'm sure that's right. Also, Jim doesn't allow comments and so there may be less of the kind of flow-through of traffic that Alexa would pick up.