Monday, May 07, 2012

Jesus the Magician Rowan Atkinson Style

If you haven't seen this before, you'll love it.  If you have, you'll love it even more -- it's sublime.  Rowan Atkinson reads from something that sounds rather like John 2.1-11 (Wedding at Cana) but morphs into something that is from a version that is less familiar to most New Testament scholars:



It's actually a superb creative harmonization of several Synoptic and Johannine texts, largely from the KJV.  I am really tempted to set this video as a challenge in my NT Intro next semester to see how many of the texts they can recognize.  I especially love the play on "sick of the palsy" which always sounds so strange to modern ears.

5 comments:

mwp said...

Loved it. But I wonder what happened during the obvious cut between "you must be the son of God" and "here ends the lesson."

mwp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jens Knudsen (Sili) said...

What happened to the "I am only he who comes before" bit?

I've heard enough of you podcast to recognise Matthew's wailing and gnashing of teeth and ye of little faith.

Scott F said...

Talk about demanding a sign!

Steve said...

I've heard another version of this where the assistant's name is Trixie, and ends with Jesus taking the show to Jerusalem where they "absolutely crucified him."