Thursday, February 28, 2008

Passion Première: Travel Diary III

Starbucks, Victoria Street, 9.55am. Great flight. Read a couple of articles, watched a moderately funny episode of Everybody Loves Raymond and a terrible film (Heartbreak Kid) and slept very deeply. The plane landed early and it is lovely to be back in England, even if for only 24 hours. I smile all the way through Gatwick airport; hearing so many English accents makes me realize how accustomed I am to living in America. Occasionally I get looks from people who wonder why I seem so happy. The first advertisement I see is for Mother's Day and I have a double take when I see "Mum" instead of "Mom". I pick up a Guardian from the first WH Smith's I pass and the latest Doctor Who Magazine, with Freema Agyeman on the cover, from the larger one at Victoria Station. That will be my treat for the flight home.

While on the train to Victoria, I had a surprise phone call from Q. It turns out that he is in London today and we are going to meet up, along with another old friend I had already planned to meet at the House of Commons. This is already shaping up into an excellent day.

I will be in the same clothes for a little longer, but look forward to checking into my hotel later so that I can shower and clean my teeth.

3 comments:

Daniel Clark said...

Does your friend Q actually exist? Or is he in fact your friend L who is well acquanted with M?

Anonymous said...

Greetings from a few dozen miles North of where you now are!
I had the same query about Q...

Anonymous said...

I don't think Q is imaginary - but he's a problem. He's driving me mad and I haven't even seen him. He's got multiple personalities. Poor Q.