Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Bart Ehrman Blog

I am grateful to my colleague Bart Ehrman down the road at UNC Chapel Hill for letting me know about his new blog:


It's looking slick and professional and there are already a couple of posts, one on the First Century Copy of Mark? that has previously been discussed here and elsewhere and one on his new book about Jesus Mythicists.

Extra goodies are hidden behind a paywall, including an extension of the above post on the first century Mark fragment.  Also, only paying members are able to comment on blog posts.  Money earned from the site will go to assisting the needy.  I am not aware of other academic bloggers who have added a paywall, so it will be interesting to see how the blog fares.  I am looking forward, though, to the public posts.  Welcome to the blogosphere, Bart!

6 comments:

Bob MacDonald said...

fairs fare and fares fairly - I am grateful that you let us know when things happen - thanks.

Mark Goodacre said...

Thanks for catching that, Bob. Corrected!

Marcello Jun said...

Well, here's to hoping that the NT Blog and the NT Pod don't go that route! ;-)

Mark, did you get a chance to read (or browse through) Ehrman's Mythicist book? I would be very interested to hear/read your impressions of it.

Cheers.

Mark Goodacre said...

Oh, never. I won't even have ads on the NT Blog or the NT Pod. Yes, Bart was kind enough to share it with me in manuscript.

Unknown said...

Hopefully Dr. Ehrman takes the membership portion out, and leaves it open for donations.

Polydamas said...

So, I’ve encountered this post close to five years too late, but I thought I’d respond anyway, as I’ve recently joined Bart’s blog. The reason I joined was rather arbitrary—I was trying to chase down the validity of the claim that the reference to doubting Thomas in the gospel of John was an inter-sectional dig at the Thomasine quasi-gnostic school which would have been contemporaneous with the Johannine school at the time John was written. I was really surprised at the difficult in trying to chase down discussion on this subject. As a non-academic, with limited access to academic databases, finding meaningful discussion on topics such as this is almost impossible. And it just so happened that Bart had touched on this matter in one of his threads. So I bit the bullet, paid my fare, and got access. No regrets. And now five years in, Bart’s blog, even with the paywall, seems to be faring well—lots of interesting content, an active community of contributing members and as I mentioned above, a viable means of addressing matters of scholarship that are normally hard-to-reach for us common folk.