Friday, January 25, 2013

Frans Neirynck (1927-2012)

I have only just found out that one of the great New Testament scholars, Frans Neirynck, has died (Death notice here).  Any scholar who had a three-thick-volume Festschrift is someone to be reckoned with.  I suppose the thing that he will be remembered for more than anything else is the detail and accuracy of his scholarship -- his articles were meticulously researched and presented with great clarity.

I have not been able to find much on the net in the way of obituaries, but Biblical Studies at Leuven has this fine tribute:

A tribute to Prof. Frans Neirynck

I never met Prof. Neirynck myself; he retired from the conference circuit at about the time that I was beginning to go to events.  From what I hear, though, he was a formidable character and a mighty warrior for his favourite positions, especially the Two Source Theory and John's use of the Synoptics.

2 comments:

Robert said...

He was a truly great scholar. I think of him often.

Robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.