Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Passion and Doctor Who

I have been wondering, ever since watching the first edits of The Passion, how I knew Mary (Penelope Wilton). Today I realized that she is Harriet Jones in Doctor Who (series 1, "World War Three" and "Aliens of London"; and the 2005 Christmas special, "Christmas Invasion"). Regular readers will know that my love of Doctor Who is one of the things that brightens my life, and I am delighted to discover several more links between the cast of the two programmes, one I have worked on and one I am a great fan of. Tom Ellis plays Philip and was Tom Milligan in the last episode of Doctor Who series 3 ("Last of the Time Lords"). Dean Lennox Kelly, who plays James, was Shakespeare in "The Shakespeare Code", the second episode in the third series of Doctor Who. Jamie Sives, John, was Captain Reynolds in "Tooth and Claw", the second episode of series 2 of Doctor Who. Daniel Evans, Matthew, was Danny Llewellyn in "The Christmas Invasion". Vinette Robinson, Mina, was Abi Lerner in third series episode "42".

That's a long list; and I've not even begun on Torchwood. To think that I could have met Doctor Who actors at the première too! (Did I mention that I met Robert Powell?)

6 comments:

John Lyons said...

Perhaps more importantly, she is the mother of Shaun of the Dead!

Matt Page said...

To me, she'll always be the long suffering wife of Martin (Richard Briers) from Ever Decreasing Circles I'm afraid.

Matt

Peter M. Head said...

Are you kidding? Did you really meet Robert Powell?

Ben said...

Any chance the series will air on BBC America (sorry if this has already been answered)?

Mark Goodacre said...

No, not for the foreseeable future, Ben. It'll be on HBO before it is on anywhere else in the US, and HBO will probably not broadcast until next year.

Ben said...

Ah, that is too bad. It looks very interesting.