Thursday, May 14, 2009

Gospel of Thomas Bibliography

Back in the 1990s there was an excellent Gospel of Thomas bibliography by Sytze van der Laan, a student of Tjitze Baarda. It disappeared in 2000 and as far as I know, no one knows anything of Sytze's whereabouts since then. At the time, I tried to email Sytze and never had any success in getting back in touch with him. When I was searching for an article on Thomas today, I was reminded of this bibliography and decided to go and look for it on the Way Back Machine. I tried few URLs and found several archived versions of the site, the most recent one of which is here:

Gospel of Thomas site: Sytze van der Laan

It is one of the sadder features of the internet's coming of age that great sites like this get lost. It's one of the great things about the internet that so often archive.org comes to the rescue. I had forgotten that the site was more comprehensive than just a bibliography. The bibliography is pretty thorough up to 1998 or so. It makes me wonder about the possibilities of rescuing this bibliography and beginning a new, online, collaborative, up to date version.

No comments: