Saturday, February 11, 2006

Lots of blogs of interest

There are lots of new blogs of interest in our area. Here are the latest additions to my blogroll:

Bible and History Lists Comments
To collect various notes and comments of mine regarding list posts on various Bible and Ancient Near East related lists
Yitzak Sapir

This one was via Paleojudaica. The next is one I spotted myself while surfing:

Markus McDowell's Blog
Teaching, researching, and writing about the Second Temple period and early Christianity

Mark McDowell is Assistant Professor of New Testament at Westmont College, Santa Barbara, California, and his homepage has publications list, class materials and so on.

This one has been posted in various places (e.g. Bible Software Review Weblog) and will be of interest to Mac enthusiasts, and especially Accordance enthusiasts (and there are lots of those):

Accordance Blog
News, How-tos, and assorted Views on Accordance Bible Software.

The authors appear to be Helen Brown and David Lang.

The next one has stalled a bit after its first week of postings at the beginning of the year, but it's worth mentioning in case it returns again:

Biblia Theologica
Biblical and theological postings of varied lengths by a student of the New Testament and of Biblical Theology
A. B. Caneday

The author is professor of New Testament Studies & Biblical Theology at Northwestern College, Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA. This one was noticed by Michael Bird on Euangelion.

Next up is another recommendation of Michael Bird on Euangelion:

Pantodapos
Sundry thoughts on Biblical Studies, History, Philosophy, Greek, Textual Criticism and Literature
Eric Sowell

If the name sounds familiar, it is because Eric already has a tech blog called The Coding Humanist.

A third recommendation from Michael Bird on Euangelion is:

Gospel of Matthew
Blogging on the New Testament (especially its first book) and other things
J. B. Hood

The author explains "This blog is a forum for my thoughts and those of others with similar interests. I'm currently pursuing a PhD in New Testament from Highland Theological College, University of Aberdeen, and Matthew's Gospel (the subject of my dissertation) will be a key theme."

Back to Jim Davila's recommendations on Paleojudaica, with his characteristic "assimilated to the blogosphere" header is:

Targuman
Christian Brady
The Name - "Targuman" comes from my field of study (that of the targumim, the Aramaic versions of the Bible) but the full story is a little better than just that. Back when eWorld was a reality I had an email address that attempted to reflect my field, "otman" for "Old Testament." But that was only part of my field and my undergraduate supervisor suggested "meturgeman" (the one in the synagogal service who would translate the Hebrew reading into Aramaic). That seemed to lack the super hero quality I was looking for, so I settled for "Targuman." Now I just need a "T" to sew on my chest...

The Purpose - I intend to follow Ralph's lead and simply post that which is of interest to me. Sometimes scholarly and theological at other times Mac related or political. Who knows? (Yab -- yet another blog)
The next is one I thought I had added to my blogroll, but it turns out I had not. It was mentioned by Jim Davila in Paleojudaica back in December:

Observatório Bíblico
Blog sobre estudos acadêmicos da Bíblia. Associado à Ayrton's Biblical Page. A weblog about academic studies of the Bible
Airton José da Silva

A good one for practising your Portuguese, and nice to see a few links to this blog there too.

It also emerges that I had not linked to this before now:

Chrisendom
My research topic (under the supervision of Max Turner) concerns the christological significance of the language Paul used to decribe the relationship between risen Lord and believer
Chris Tilling

I think I was put off by the fact that the blog was originally called "Brain poo", surely one of the worst blog titles in living memory, now happily adjusted to Chrisendom (minus the "t"). It was blog of the month on Biblioblogs.com

I have also dropped one or two of the blogs that have stalled into limbo.

No comments: