Monday, September 07, 2009

Luke on Wealth and Poverty (NT Pod 11)

I uploaded the latest NT Pod last week, Ep. 11, on Wealth and Poverty in Luke's Gospel. I don't have a lot to add to this one by way of programme notes except to add that the ideas I discuss here are developed in a little more detail in my Case Against Q: Studies in Marcan Priority and the Synoptic Problem (Harrisburg, PA: Trinity Press International, 2002), Chapter 6 ("How Blessed are the Poor?") where I attempt to build the case for Luke's narrative interest in poverty as a prerequisite for discipleship, at the same time as noting the importance of the theme of eschatological reversal involving rich and poor. Non Q sceptics should not worry -- I did not even mention Q in this podcast. I just wanted to share some of the broader issues that emerged when I was thinking, some years ago now, about the likelihood that Luke was the one responsible for the wording of Luke 6.20.

No comments: