Friday, April 16, 2010

Philip Pullman on the Gospels on the Daily Bacon

One of my favourite podcasts these days is the Daily Bacon. I never thought I would warm to Richard Bacon when he took over from Simon Mayo in the BBC Radio FiveLive afternoon slot earlier this year, but the programme is great, and I rarely miss the podcast.

Yesterday's featured Philip Pullman talking about his novel The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ. It turns out that Pullman is surprisingly well informed about the Gospels and the interview is so interesting that it almost persuades me to read the book. At this stage it is only "almost", though.

The podcast will be available to download for the next six days or so. [Subscribe to the Daily Bacon; Programme details].

3 comments:

Matt Page said...

Thanks for that Mark, it was a very interesting interview. Pullman comes across as much more reasonable than he did in the recent Guardian piece, and it does make me interested to read the book. Obviously can't help wondering if there might be a film version one day given the precedents both for Pullman adaptations (Golden Compass) and for fictional explorations of Jesus' life being made into film (Last Temptation, Da Vinci Code)

Michael Kelberer said...

Hi Mark,
I always find your posts worth pursuing, but wanted you to know that I'm starting to get NTPOD withdrawal...can't wait for the next episode.
Best,
Michael

Mark Goodacre said...

Thanks, Michael. Have you listened to NT Pod 35 yet? Out last Friday, http://podacre.blogspot.com/2010/04/nt-pod-35-how-does-john-differ-from.html