Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Year in America

A year ago today we arrived in North Carolina, USA, having left Birmingham on Tuesday 20 September, flown from London Gatwick on Wednesday 21 September in the early afternoon, arriving in late afternoon at Raleigh-Durham International Airport, and waking up in America for the first time on Thursday 22 September. That first semester, after a honeymoon period at cheap hotels, turned out to be far tougher than I could possibly have imagined, so much so that I went through a phase where I didn't even blog, but happily that was short lived and by the end of November we were well settled, and subsequently it has been an enjoyable year as well as a challenging one. I am lucky to be in a job with great colleagues and great students, and to live in a nice neigbourhood in a lovely area with an amazing family.

2 comments:

Michael Pahl said...

Ah, yes! I remember that time as well, as you abandoned me in Birmingham! ;-) Of course it wasn't quite as bad as all that...

Congrats on your first year at Duke. I'm glad for you and your family that it has been a good experience, even after the initial difficulties. I'd still like to make up some excuse to come visit you there!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you're all still having such a fantastic time. It sounds as though you are on a permanent vacation with the amount of times you eat out, swimming pool etc!